Thursday, January 26, 2012

Southern Wedding Traditions: the First Dance


via

One of the most anticipated (in our minds, anyway) traditions at most Southern weddings comes after the ceremony, after the vows and the big first kiss: your first dance as a married couple. There are hundreds of thousands of love songs out there waiting to be added to your DJ’s playlist, which makes choosing the right one quite a task. Luckily for you, we’ve put together a list of some of our favorites, including some classics, some covers, and a few your guests might not see coming (click any of the song titles to listen).

Looking for something all out romantic that will have your entire wedding party weeping? May we suggest:

And I believe in love
And I know that you do too
And I believe in some kind of path
That we can walk down, me and you

You touched me, and I hear the sound of mandolins
You kissed me, and with your kiss my life begins.

There are angels in your angles,
There’s a low moon caught in your tangles

Shooting for slow and sultry? These may be more up your alley:

Will you be true till life is done?
Be the one I adore
You're the one that I adore

You said, “Ain’t this just like the present
to be showing up like this?
As the moon waned to crescent
We started to kiss


If your wedding is a little less formal and a little more footloose, try these slightly more upbeat tunes: 

I believe you should run with me until this Texas sun falls into the sea
if I shed this skin of iron and this breath of kerosene
Darling, would you take a chance on me?

We’ve come a long way, and baby
You know I hope and pray
That you’ll believe me when I say
This love will never fade away

Sweet darling, come hold me
Just a little bit longer now


If there’s a mustache on your groom and your bridesmaids are in mismatched florals with Zooey D. bangs, one of these might be the right fit:

I'm not the tiger you never had
I'm not the first hit when you got it bad
I'm not your second, I'm not your third
But I'll be your bird

The book of love is long and boring
And written very long ago
It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes
And things we're all too young to know, but
I, I love it when you give me things
And you, you ought to give me wedding rings

The most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway
Is that it’s you, and that you’re standing in the doorway
and you smile as you ease the gun from my hand 
And I’m frozen with joy right where I stand. 


Do you have a song chosen? Already married and have a great memory of your first dance? Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...